Skip to main content


Preliminary Exercise: Inspiration

Before we start taking pictures for our very own preliminary magazine cover, it's best to understand the conventions of the concept being used in the cover. Since we're supposed to design a high school-esque magazine cover, I decided to look at pictures snapped by others revolving around the concept of the millennial education system.


I chose this picture because it not only showcased the education system and the students but also the teacher. I liked the composition of this long shot as it manages to make a distinction between the teacher and the students without much struggle. The blurring of the students, especially those in the back makes the image appear sharper and not too busy. Another reason this picture was inspiring was, the students in the classrooms were representative of all ages.. We see teenagers and eager adults alike joined in one classroom.


The objective. The finishing line.
Graduation.
Since the day a student sets foot in an institution, their mind is occupied by the thoughts of when they're going to graduate. I found this long shot very effective as it focuses on their graduation caps, a symbolic code for the education system. This picture too has the students in the background blurred as to not have the picture look too cluttered. 


I added this medium shot with the rest because it was refreshingly different. The first thing that struck me was the representation of not just the white population but also that of the African Americans and South Asians which is important for equality to reign. It's also the ideal diversity that should be found in our education systems but unfortunately isn't. Their happy expressions also helps finally break through the stereotype of teenagers finding studying (provided it's what they're passionate about) a burden. Their smiles also makes them look more approachable hence inviting.


This medium shot highlights the conventional educational environment. The focused students don't loom into the camera making the image realistic. The props (papers, pens, files) only add to what such an environment is supposed to be like. The mix of genders thrown in also adds to the realistic-ness of the image. The blurring of the students in the background and foreground helps focus our attention. 

Now that I've drawn inspiration from these images, I'm ready to go snap some of my own. I have a few ideas. I hope to execute them well. Please anticipate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Beginning is Always Today" Forlorn, a girl stares out the window, unseeing. This world bores her. So she makes a new one. And then another. And another. And another. And another. That girl is me. Today marks the birth and creation of my blog which's purpose is to keep a record of the progress I've made on my foundation portfolio. Being seventeen and deeply intoxicated with the art of story telling and sharing said stories with the masses through a medium which brings us all together, taking Media Studies in my A levels was a natural choice.  Along with Psychology, Literature in English and History, it evolves my understanding of people and aids me in my aspiration of telling an exciting tale; mine. I look forward to telling you more about my project as it progresses and myself.  Keep reading!
Key Media Concepts "What we learn with pleasure, we never forget." Today's class was an exciting mix of future prospects and facts. We learned about key media concepts through a very interesting mnemonic 'MIGRAIN', which will perhaps later act as a Freudian slip!  What are key media concepts you may ask. They're the basic components used by media creators to communicate to their audience and perfectly project their thoughts within their art or more technically known as their media product.  M   edia forms and language I     nstitutions G  enre R   epresentation A  udience I   deaology N  arrative Media forms and language, to put it simply, are the way of doing things when it comes to the makings of an media product, print or otherwise. Media forms are the various different platforms on which media is produced, for example, film or radio.  Media languages encapsulate media codes and conventions. There are two types of media
Shoot Analysis (Rejected Pictures) There are good and bad pictures in every photo shoot. What's important is filtering out the inappropriate images and out takes so we're left with the good pictures we know we would like to use in our magazine. These are pictures I've decided to exclude. This would have been a good option for the magazine cover except the shadows fell really awkwardly on Emil's (the model) figure, focused more on her throat than her face and even so in the middle of the throat making the light source look confusing. This image is too dark and will probably turn darker with a very sharp contrast after it is gray-scaled. The lack of rim light also makes it confusing as to where the shadows end and the model begins and not in the way I visualised it. Bad shots happen to good people. A case of blinking at an unfortunate time. It was only after the shot had been clicked when I realised the 'Super Biscuits' wrapper on